Ruddy Turnstone: From Field Observation to Editorial Story
The idea
Wildlife photography often starts with observation, but for me it rarely ends with the photograph.
Seeing an animal in the field usually sends me looking for the story behind what I witnessed.
I had photographed Ruddy Turnstones along Florida beaches before, so I associated them with the coast. When I unexpectedly photographed one along a Colorado shoreline, I immediately wanted to know what had brought this shorebird so far inland.
That question became the starting point for this editorial concept.
The story
The Ruddy Turnstone has one of those wonderfully descriptive names that gives young readers an immediate way into the science. The bird searches for food by flipping stones, shells, seaweed, and other objects to uncover what may be hiding underneath.
I built the story around two discoveries: how the turnstone got its name and how a bird I knew from Florida could also appear in Colorado.
“Who Turned That Stone?” uses behavior as the hook, then expands into migration, habitat, anatomy, feeding, and identification. Rather than presenting facts as a list, the concept encourages children to follow the same questions that came from observing the bird in the field.
Photography as research
My wildlife photography is part of my research process. Spending time observing an animal helps me notice behaviors and details that can become the foundation for a larger story.
For this concept, my photographs from Florida and Colorado provide two very different settings for the same species. The contrast creates a natural visual narrative and introduces a larger idea for young readers: a bird we associate with one environment may be part of a journey spanning thousands of miles.
The photographs are shown here as part of the concept and demonstrate how I would approach image research, selection, editing, and art direction for an editorial feature.
Writing for ages 7–12
The copy is designed to make the science approachable without talking down to the reader. Short passages, questions, active language and unexpected facts create multiple entry points into the story.
The main narrative is supported by smaller pieces of information that can be discovered independently, including the bird's feeding technique, physical adaptations, migration, and places young readers might look for turnstones themselves.
The goal is not simply to tell children what a Ruddy Turnstone is. It is to make them curious enough to start looking.
From one story to multiple platforms
I approached the Ruddy Turnstone as an editorial system rather than an isolated magazine spread. The core research could extend into a companion quiz, short-form video or storyboard, website feature, and social content without simply repeating the magazine article.
Each format would use the same research differently. The magazine invites exploration, the quiz reinforces learning, video demonstrates behavior, social creates the initial hook, and the website provides room to continue discovering.
What this concept demonstrates
Research + Writing + Wildlife Photography + Art Direction + Editorial Design + Content Strategy
This project represents how I work across disciplines. I can begin with an observation or idea, research the subject, identify the strongest story, write and edit the content, select or create imagery, establish visual direction, collaborate with writers, designers, and subject-matter experts, and consider how the story continues across print and digital channels.
For me, the most interesting wildlife stories begin with a simple question:
Why does it do that?
Then I go find out.
Art direction
The visual system combines original wildlife photography with illustration, maps, field-note elements, and small explanatory graphics.
The photography establishes the real-world encounter while illustration helps explain things that a single photograph cannot easily communicate, such as how the bill is used, the sequence of turning an object to find food, and the bird's larger migration story.Typography, color, and hierarchy are intentionally energetic for the 7–12 audience while maintaining readability and accessibility. A limited type system and consistent visual hierarchy keep the educational content organized even when the spread contains multiple points of discovery.

Comments
Post a Comment